Friday, August 31, 2007

This is important...

I'm totally bogged down in an article in quantum non-locality, which is one of my most long-standing pet interests. I'll say more next week, after finishing the article, but I'm beginning to believe that social dynamics have actually had quite a lot to do with this area of physics over the past 50 years. For many years, in effect, people were unable to get jobs at good institutions if they wished to work in unorthodox areas, especially if they questioned the prevailing orthodoxy on the interpretation of quantum theory.

Scientists are people too, and all the usual dynamics and pressures of fashion and group influence work there too. Anyway, in the past few days, I learned of some new work that, if it turns out to be free of holes and as important as it seems to me, may be the most profound development in quantum theory (and therefore basic physics) in maybe 40 years. In essence, it suggests that the widespread belief that quantum theory demands a break with ordinary thinking and with a belief in a reality that exists separate from our observation of it may be very much incorrect.

But more on that later. Here's a link to something much more down-to-earth, and important, in a very practical sense. Our government, it is clear, will get away with whatever we let them get away with.

13 comments:

Ahsan said...

really like this blog but i have a request. pls write more of the stuff you did when you were on the NYT (the freakonomics, gladwell type stuff) and less on hardcore science (natural or social). thanks.

Mark Buchanan said...

Ahsan,

I agree, I'd like to write more of that stuff too, and that IS the aim of this blog. Sadly, I also have to make a living, and that means writing articles for print magazines (such as New Scientist), and I usually write about "hard science." This is taking up most of my time. The NYT articles took a day's work at least to put together, but at least I got paid (a little) for them...

Hopefully I can get more efficient and manage some posts more like the NYT stuff. Certainly there's plenty to write about. It's just finding the time to do it, while also keeping my financial head above water!

Ahsan said...

Well, at any rate, you have a great blog. If you promise to keep writing, I promise to keep reading.

peaceable_tate said...

Wow, the biggest breakthrough in 40 years? Sounds like exciting work--I look forward to learning more about it.

Anonymous said...

"In essence, it suggests that the widespread belief that quantum theory demands a break with ordinary thinking and with a belief in a reality that exists separate from our observation of it may be very much incorrect." .... I'm looking forwared to reading about your findings. Forgive us if a bunch of Platonists and I are skeptical.

henrymiller765 said...

Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database. Sildenafil Online

williamoliver172 said...

Your blog is exceptionally enlightening. Eating carefully has been hard for individuals nowadays. It's all a result of their bustling calendars, work or absence of concentrate on themselves. As an understudy I should concede that I have not been eating carefully but rather due to this I will begin now. It could help me make the most of my nourishment and time alone. Eating carefully may help me know about sound sustenance and acknowledging nourishment. Buy Sildenafil

henrymiller765 said...

I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog. Sildenafil Tablets

maxwellglenn353 said...

I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm. Generic Sildenafil Citrate

jimmyjohns said...

Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here . Sildenafil Online

henrymiller765 said...

There can also moreover some precise strategies in keeping with location or knowledge. Your competencies depend on how you bought this opportunity and wherein you have professional. non-public or expert training may distinguish between each other. idea over right here are beneficial for distinct guys additionally because it did for me. Buy Sildenafil

sewing factory for sale said...

Scientists are people too, and all the usual dynamics and pressures of fashion and group influence work there too. pakistani suit wholesale market , wholesale salwar kameez online ,

Anonymous said...

golden goose outlet
palm angels
palm angels t shirt
yeezy boost 350 v2
kobe 9
michael jordan shoes
golden goose outlet
kyrie shoes
retro jordans
kobe shoes